Skip to main content

What to do if you are a victim of cyber theft involving mobile wallet/bank account

Since mobile banking has become more popular in India, issues like malware, SIM swaps, etc have increased according to a 2014-15 report of Pricewaterhouse Coopers Pvt Ltd on banking fraud.

Mobile banking, which is gaining appeal due to its convenience comes with several concerns as well. Banking fraud via sim swap is a reality. It is also hard to stop as fraudsters carry out identity theft, then get your current SIM blocked and purchase duplicate SIMs from service provider outlets using forged ID proofs. The OTPs are then received on that SIM and it is then used to carry out financial transactions in your name.

What to do after banking fraud?

–You should get in touch with your bank immediately, and get all your cards hotlisted or change your login credentials immediately. Take a complaint reference number and follow it up.

–The cyber crimes unit run an online fraud and banking fraud cell. If you are a victim of such a fraud, you should immediately approach the cyber cell and file a detailed complaint.

–You should put in a written complaint with the bank, mobile service provider, mobile wallet company, third party vendor or any other party you expect could've been the route of the fraud.

–Follow up with your complaints. Generally, if banks lose your money through procedural lapses, they will restore it to your account in a few days. But in cases of fraud, the process can be protracted and you need to pursue it diligently.

–If the bank/wallet company doesn't cooperate, you can always take the legal route and file a case in the appropriate forum to get some form of judicial relief.

-- File a case at your city consumer forum. This is the easiest and fastest working legal route. 

–Do an FIR with the police. This will add weightage to your case at the bank. Police will also start it's own investigation.

--Make sure you keep all the correspondence with the other party on official written record. This counts as evidence in court.

–You can take the help of an ombudsman if your case is dismissed within a period of 30 days.

–If the ombudsman doesn't offer relief, you can approach the RBI deputy governor who is the appellate authority in such matters.

–You should keep following up with the case's progress with the police and if you get no respite, take the case to court


Popular posts from this blog

Future of oil is bleak. By 2030, 95% of people may not own private cars which would wipe off the automobile industry

A futurist and clean energy expert, Toni Seba, has predicted that electric vehicles would destroy the global oil industry after a decade. By 2030, 95% of people won't own private cars which would wipe off the automobile industry, he says.

Boeing and JetBlue Airways have announced they would begin selling a hybrid-electric commuter aircraft by 2022. Planned by start-up Zunum Aero, the small plane would seat up to 12 passengers and reduce travel time and cost of trips under 1,600 km.


Can Herbalife 'Afresh' cause insomnia(sleeplessness) and heart problems?

Here is another "great" product from Herbalife. Marketed as an ENERGY drink mix. Few people know it contains Gurana seeds which have no active compound giving artificial energy other than caffeine. Afresh also contains additional caffeine

Ingredients of Herbalife Afresh Energy Drink Mix:
Maltodextrin, Orange Pekoe Extract, Guarana Seed Extract, Acidity Regulator - 330 and Caffeine Powder.

Side effect include insomnia, sleeplessness and heart problems, It is especially harmful for people with High blood pressure.

PPF interest rate cut to 7.9% but are other investment options better? Here's a comparison

The Public Provident Fund (PPF) will now offer 7.9% but experts say it is still a good option for investors. Given that consumer inflation is down to 3.65%, the real rate of return of the PPF is a healthy 4.25%. 

"This is quite impressive for an option that offers assured returns," says Amol Joshi, Founder, PlanRupee Investment Service. "Investors should continue to take advantage of this long-term tax-free product," he adds. 

Even if you compare the PPF rate with the 10-year government bond yield, the scheme is attractive. "The 10-year bond yield is a better benchmark for PPF than consumer inflation," says Manoj Nagpal, CEO, Outlook Asia Capital
Currently, the 10-year bond yield is around 6.8% and the PPF at 7.9% makes it for a premium of 110 basis points. "Historically, the average premium has been around 75 bps. So, the PPF investor is today earning a higher real return," says Nagpal. Even so, some investors may be feeling disappointed by the cu…