Skip to main content

Why NPS is not a good investment

Part 1:

NPS offers you to save for your golden years with tax benefits on your investments. However, the amount of pension is not guaranteed and depends on the accumulated corpus and rates available at the time of vesting. 

Read more at: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/retirement/should-you-investnps_1667841.html?utm_source=ref_article


Part 2: From Economic times.

Friends want to know whether they should invest in the NPS. With tax saving driving investment decisions, people are drawn to the additional Rs 50,000 deduction under Sec 80CCD(1b). But here is why I wouldn't be investing in the NPS.

Very long lock-in period
All tax-saving investments have lockin periods, but none as long as that of the NPS. The NPS can only be withdrawn at the age of 60. If you start at the age of 25-30, the lock-in period is 30-35 years. Even then, only 60% of the corpus can be withdrawn, and the remaining 40% will have to be put into an annuity for a monthly pension.

Taxation on maturity
The NPS is not really tax-friendly. No one talks about the taxes that will apply at maturity. Out of the 60%, this Budget has proposed to make 40% tax-free on withdrawal, but the remaining 20% will be taxed as income. You can avoid taxation by putting this amount in an annuity, but pension  .. 

Read more at:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Future of oil is bleak. By 2030, 95% of people may not own private cars which would wipe off the automobile industry

A futurist and clean energy expert, Toni Seba, has predicted that electric vehicles would destroy the global oil industry after a decade. By 2030, 95% of people won't own private cars which would wipe off the automobile industry, he says.

Boeing and JetBlue Airways have announced they would begin selling a hybrid-electric commuter aircraft by 2022. Planned by start-up Zunum Aero, the small plane would seat up to 12 passengers and reduce travel time and cost of trips under 1,600 km.

Ref http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/amp/news/oil-and-lubes/the-future-of-oil-is-almost-here-and-it-doesnt-look-very-pretty/60972841

Can Herbalife 'Afresh' cause insomnia(sleeplessness) and heart problems?

Here is another "great" product from Herbalife. Marketed as an ENERGY drink mix. Few people know it contains Gurana seeds which have no active compound giving artificial energy other than caffeine. Afresh also contains additional caffeine

Ingredients of Herbalife Afresh Energy Drink Mix:
Maltodextrin, Orange Pekoe Extract, Guarana Seed Extract, Acidity Regulator - 330 and Caffeine Powder.

http://mall.coimbatore.com/bnh/herbalife/afresh-energy-drink-mix.htm

http://products.herbalife.co.in/energy-and-fitness/afresh-energy-drink

Side effect include insomnia, sleeplessness and heart problems, It is especially harmful for people with High blood pressure.

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine_tablets-oral/article.htm

PPF interest rate cut to 7.9% but are other investment options better? Here's a comparison

The Public Provident Fund (PPF) will now offer 7.9% but experts say it is still a good option for investors. Given that consumer inflation is down to 3.65%, the real rate of return of the PPF is a healthy 4.25%. 

"This is quite impressive for an option that offers assured returns," says Amol Joshi, Founder, PlanRupee Investment Service. "Investors should continue to take advantage of this long-term tax-free product," he adds. 

Even if you compare the PPF rate with the 10-year government bond yield, the scheme is attractive. "The 10-year bond yield is a better benchmark for PPF than consumer inflation," says Manoj Nagpal, CEO, Outlook Asia Capital
Currently, the 10-year bond yield is around 6.8% and the PPF at 7.9% makes it for a premium of 110 basis points. "Historically, the average premium has been around 75 bps. So, the PPF investor is today earning a higher real return," says Nagpal. Even so, some investors may be feeling disappointed by the cu…